The RCDSO Partners with MitreBox to Enhance Digital Capabilities
As the regulatory body responsible for overseeing the practice of dentistry in Ontario, the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario realized the need to modernize their digital offerings across their organization and on the web.
As part of an initial engagement, MitreBox UXD undertook a large-scale user research project to identify the various needs and requirements for a full redesign of the RCDSO website and online public register, from both organizational and user perspectives. Internal stakeholder engagement in the form of stakeholder interviews, interactive workshops, and an online survey provided the basis on which to engage users. Focus groups and one-on-one usability testing was then completed with participants recruited from the general public. With a clear understanding of how real-world scenarios and individual perspectives aligned with the RCDSO’s internal assumptions, MitreBox UXD drafted a digital product roadmap and strategic recommendations for moving forward with a complete rebuild of the RCDSO website.
Over an 8-month period, high-fidelity wireframes and prototypes were created to help the organization (especially non-technical staff) understand the features and functionality of the new website. Subject matter experts were continuously engaged to refine prototypes and ensure critical data integration details were not missed in the creation of the functional specification and creative design.
As the development phase approached, MitreBox UXD assisted in the preparation of necessary the RFP documentation, and CMS and technical partner evaluation. Allowing the RCDSO to confidently select a third-party development firm with whom MitreBox UXD collaborated with throughout development.
Multiple years and projects later, MitreBox UXD continues to collaborate with the RCDSO as their vendor of record for projects spanning their numerous public web properties, as well as a variety of internal applications and organizational processes.
- A complete website redesign including a revamped content library and reformatted public register of dentist profiles, provided the RCDSO with a solid foundation and flexible platform for ongoing iteration and enhancement, allowing for on ongoing content curation, and enhancements to their public register.
- Creation of a customized Learning Management System (LMS) allowing the RCDSO to create and publish continuing education programs for members. The LMS includes the ability to host multiple courses and evaluate the performance of dentists through robust quizzes and testing.
- Design of a progressive interactive application portal for new dentists to apply and become members of the RCDSO. Previously dependent on a complicated and error prone paper-based process, this new portal dramatically reduced submission errors as well as removed multiple inefficient steps for internal staff.
- Delivery of multiple rounds of online accessibility training and auditing to ensure internal and external RCDSO web-based systems meet and exceed the current AODA accessibility legislation in Ontario. With the organization embracing accessibility standards, all new web-based applications and tools are now audited and ensured to meet W3C 2.0+ accessibility standards.
- Ongoing process and technology evaluations across the organization to optimize the usability of internal systems and tools for various departments. From helping to enhance facility inspection forms to a complete in-depth analysis of their professional liability department, MitreBox has played a key role in identifying opportunities for process enhancements as well as new technology implementations.
MitreBox UXD worked closely with the RCDSO's communication and technology teams to provide the following services: